I am a firm believer that a bedroom design should always be simple and elegant.
Bedrooms should be the calmest room in your home. So here are seven steps to getting the bedroom of your dreams.
1. Begin with the bed. As the largest piece of furniture in the room, the style and placement of the bed will impact the rest of the room’s design. Decide what style is right for you. We love a high headboard that allows for reading in bed.
2. Look up. Select a large piece of art or a mirror to hang (well-secured) above the bed to contrast the sleek bedding below.
3. Add storage. No matter the closet space, there never seems to be enough storage. Add extra with a platform bed. Or, use a small storage chest as a bedside table which provides both interior storage and plenty of space for a pile of books or vase of flowers.
4. Finish the bed. High quality bedding in 100% cotton percale makes a huge difference in your comfort. Also, an end-of-bed ottoman is a useful spot to sit and put on your shoes on or neatly store decorative pillows at night (just ensure you have enough room between it and other furniture to get by). If you have the space, a loveseat looks luxe at the foot of a bed.
5. Lighten up. For lamps on bedside tables: If the tables are the same, use different lamps. If different, use matching lamps to tie the pieces together. Add a throw on the bed or a chair. A lamp, chair, and side table are all you need to create a reading nook. Small-space chair options include slipper, barrel, or even an upholstered dining chair, which can double as a desk chair. Just don’t let the chair be a dumping ground for clothes or magazines waiting to be read.
6. Accessorize. Balance art above a dresser or chest in the room, add a tall greenery arrangement on top of the chest along with vases, trays or objects.
7. Host your guests in style. Some bedrooms aren’t always bedrooms. If your guest room serves dual purposes (home office or living room, for instance), make overnight stays comfortable by investing in a quality sleeper sofa. Just be sure any nearby furniture can be moved easily to make room for the extended bed.